Friday, October 29, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Blogger's Quilt Festival is here! Hooray! (And welcome new visitors!)

Here's a quilt I just finished a few weeks ago (sorry regular readers!) but I'm so proud of it and couldn't help but to bring it out again for the festival. Without further ado, here's my Modern Meadow {x2} boy quilt!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you do when you can't decide on just ONE quilt pattern to use?

Make two quilt tops and forget about having a back!

This side was inspired by this mini quilt by Ashley at Film in the Fridge.


And this side was made using Elizabeth Hartman's Mixtape Quilts II Pattern, which I LOVE. The directions were so clear, the cutting was super easy, and she even provides a guide for block placement so I didn't have to stress and rearrange my blocks 100 times. Thank goodness!


I used simple straight-line quilting on either side of the sashing.


I absolutely love how the quilting looks on this side!


The fabric I used is from Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow line, which I'm completely in love with. I mixed it with Kona solids in white, navy, avocado, stone, and aqua.

This special quilt was made for my good friend Shannon who just gave birth to her sweet baby boy on Wednesday. Shannon and I met way back when we were 21 and working together and became fast friends. I will be forever indebted to her for introducing me to the wonderful world of modern fabric and modern sewing. Last August she posted about an Amy Butler giveaway on her blog. At that point I didn't even know who Amy Butler WAS! *gasp!* But once I clicked through a few links and started browsing modern fabric and patterns I was absolutely hooked. My very generous mom set me up with a sewing machine and all sorts of sewing supplies and the rest is history!

I had a blast making this quilt for Shannon since she's my only "real life" friend with an appreciation for modern fabric and modern quilt design. I mean, what other friend of mine will ever send me inspiration links from Crazy Mom Quilts and Flickr?! When I sew for my non-sewing friends I'm always a little afraid that they won't "get it" or might not necessarily love handmade gifts, so it was such a pleasure to sew for a friend with similar interests!

Now I just can't wait to see pictures of the new little man on his quilt!

Happy sewing,
Mary

30 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful. It's funny, it took a while for Modern Meadow to grow on me, but now it's one of my all-time faves! Gorgeous, gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Modern Meadow too and I'm very impressed with what you did with yours! That will be one stylin' baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Modern Meadow yummy? I am a total convert after doing a baby quilt from it. LOVE IT. And I LOVE your quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt - and I agree with your comment about real-life friends not always 'getting' the whole quilting thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely GORGEOUS!! I am in love with this quilt!!! GREAT job!!! And I love the straight stitch sewing on that one side as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it even more this week I think. =) The quilting is sooo good - great design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morden Meadow is on my list to buy, im hoping my LFS will bring it in! what a great double sided quilt! This one is going in my favourites for later use, it seems everyone is having boys and its so hard to find great boy quilts!! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's still a lovely quilt, even though we've seen it before! I'm glad you decided to show it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still love this quilt! Both sides are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both sides! Great idea to use a different pattern for each side of the quilt. Love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your quilt is absolutely adorable. I have that pattern and will have to dig it and have a go

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Love the two sides. Your quilting is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a beautiful quilt mate!
    I know exactly what you mean about making things for un-sewing friends! my friends that dont sew look at me like I am insane when I say that I enjoy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love this quilt! How cool is that it is two-sided too? Lucky, lucky baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love love love love love both sides and the fabrics and I love that you got to make it for someone who gets it! I have one real life quilt friend and I really appreciate that luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your friend is so lucky to have a friend like you who can make such a beautiful quilt like this! I have a friend who is giving birth to a boy soon too and I am planning on making something for the baby boy but mine will not be nearly as neat as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun quilt. The stitching works really well with the design.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a lovely quilt for a baby boy! I just joined the modern quilt guild of philly - you may want to check it out to see if there is a chapter near you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE THIS! Both sides are spectacular!! Quilting, fabric, design . . . everything!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea. both sides look stunning. Great choice of fabrics and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love that you made it reversible!!! this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great quilt...i'm drawn to conventional designs, but am falling in love with more modern ones also after seeing so many on the quilt festivals!! thanks for sharing a neat quilt for a little boy. have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am about to make a quilt for my sister-in-laws soon to be baby boy and you have inspired me to do this! Where can I find this amazing pattern? I just love love love it!! Fantastic work!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute....do you have a basic pattern for the first side? I'm impressed by the grey squares in the background -- is that the fabric, piecing or shadows?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails