Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Modern Meadow {x 2} = Double the Fun!

What do you do when you can't decide on just ONE quilt pattern to use?

Make two quilt tops and forget about having a back!

This side was inspired by this mini quilt by Ashley at Film in the Fridge.


And this side was made using Elizabeth Hartman's Mixtape Quilts II Pattern, which I LOVE. The directions were so clear, the cutting was super easy, and she even provides a guide for block placement so I didn't have to stress and rearrange my blocks 100 times. Thank goodness!


I used simple straight-line quilting on either side of the sashing.


I absolutely love how the quilting looks on this side!


The fabric I used is from Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow line, which I'm completely in love with. I mixed it with Kona solids in white, navy, avocado, stone, and aqua. (Mr. PSP loves this fabric too, so I'll be using it to make something for us when I can finally get around to it!)

This special quilt was made for my good friend Shannon who's having a baby boy in less than two weeks. Shannon and I met way back when we were 21 and working together and became fast friends. I will be forever indebted to her for introducing me to the wonderful world of modern fabric and modern sewing. Last August she posted about an Amy Butler giveaway on her blog. At that point I didn't even know who Amy Butler WAS! *gasp!* But once I clicked through a few links and started browsing modern fabric and patterns I was absolutely hooked. My very generous mom set me up with a sewing machine and all sorts of sewing supplies and the rest is history!

I had a blast making this quilt for Shannon since she's my only "real life" friend with an appreciation for modern fabric and modern quilt design. I mean, what other friend of mine will ever send me inspiration links from Crazy Mom Quilts?! When I sew for my other non-sewing friends I'm always a little afraid that they won't "get it" or might not necessarily love handmade gifts, so it was such a pleasure to sew for a friend with similar interests!

Now I just can't wait to meet the new little man!

Happy sewing,
Mary

27 comments:

  1. Love them both! I especially love the quilting you did on them both, and I'm currently waffling on a quilt of my own, so I might now be swaying toward straight lines! Thanks for sharing, your work is always so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so beautiful, the fabric choices, the patterns, they're so perfect! great job Mary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely love it! Beautiful work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out so well! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous!! adding it to my quilt folder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I can't decide which side I like best! It came out very nicely! I love your photos as well. You have a lucky friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it fun to make fancy backs? Sometimes it feels like a waste - you could have two quilts with plain backs - but they just look so nice!! And I love that Joel Dewberry fabric you used..... Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome!! Just drooling over this again! I love how you kept all the blocks on the mixtape side monochromatic! It's so great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loverlee... both sides! It's nice that the recipient will really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous! I love both sides. Such a beautiful line. Love the addition of solids! Your friend is very lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing. Great Quilt! I also did not know who Amy butler was until sometime this year your not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome quilt! Both sides!! I love Modern Meadow too...

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt is gorgeous! I love Amy Butler as well, her stuff is great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary! It's gorgeous!!! LOVE it. The front and the *other* front are both so good. What a lucky baby. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your quilts, Mary! The quilting is perfect. Love your photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mini quilt is really wonderful! You 're very clever. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's wonderful thing to be able to appreciate a shared interest with a dear friend. Your quilt and photographs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Mary! I love that quilt!! Thats great you have a friend you can share your passion with. I'm sure she will love it! Thanks for the blog comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, this is a very lovely quilt(s) and so special for a new baby! What could be better than receiving a handmade quilt! The straight lines have so much impact - very well done. It is so funny...my very good friend happens to be friends with your Shannon's in-laws...from their time in Ohio! Small, small world isn't it! Love your blog, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful quilt! I love all of its two-sided goodness and the fabulous quilting. Beautiful work! That little dude is going to love it to pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so fantastic, Mary! I absolutely love Modern Meadow, and I have a thing for fancy quilt backs....I love the idea of a "double front"! I think I need to dig out my MM stash....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails