Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Another mug rug and tips for sewing with linen

I've been having so much fun making mug rugs! This one is a mix of Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane with linen. I'm officially in L-O-V-E with linen! I just love the color and texture.


Here are a few tips if you'd like to sew with linen yourself. First, prewash! I never prewash my cottons, but linen shrinks quite a bit so I recommend prewashing in hot (yes, hot!) water and tumble dry low if your finished product is going to be washable. So if you're making a zip pouch you don't really need to prewash, but for something like mug rugs or placemats or a quilt I'd say prewashing is a really good idea.

Second, spray starch is your friend! When linen comes straight off the bolt it will have a slight stiffness to it since the manufacturer applies sizing to the fabric. But once you wash it, linen becomes very soft and wrinkly. It also tends to be pretty shifty when you're sewing with it, so I use lots of Magic Sizing (which is only a couple bucks at WalMart) and a hot, hot iron and basically starch my linen into good behavior. It makes a huge difference!


I've added my lastest mug rug to the shop, as well as a made-to-order option for both of my Bliss mug rugs in case you wanted one but missed out the first time.


I've been working on three more mug rugs with Modern Meadow. They just need binding and then hopefully I can show them to you tomorrow! I'm having way too much fun making these teeny, tiny quilts!!!

Happy sewing,
Mary

14 comments:

  1. I am new to your blog, and therefore new to the mug rugs - love them! Cute concept! Thanks for sharing with the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to sit down and make one. I'm totally loving these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so cute, I think I need one for my new sewing room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, thank you for the tips, I'm in a Linen Bee and we can all use this!...and your mug rugs are just too cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love linen! And your mug rugs are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm totally in love with the Nicey Jane mug rug - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, I love Nicey Jane. It looks so pretty against the linen. Thanks for the linen tips! I want to use some in a quilt soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun! I'm loving the look of the linen. I keep meaning to try it out... you have just pushed me over the edge, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely mug rugs and I love linen. Thanks for the tips on how to quilt with it. I have been thinking about doing a quilt with a linen backing. Now I am armed with how to tame it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love all of your mug rugs. aren't they so fun to make? thanks for the linen tips. i never use starch, so maybe i should start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the linen with fabric. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your mug rug idea, I'm tempted to give it a try. I don't have a blog nor my own website I just like to make things as gifts. This one I may try for myself first since I do love to drink tea.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I gave it a try & made my mug rug with scraps and gave it that crazy quilt look. I can't believe I did it ":) now my problem is, is that I hate to use it since it came out so nice. I'm really shocked that it did. Thanks Mary for your website. I don't like the word Anonymous maybe guest would be nice but my name is Susan I'm from Sunny California I live about 5 miles from the beach. ":)
    Thanks Again!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, what are your tips on doing the corners to get them square? And what batting do you recommend? I am working on MR's but have such a problem making the corners square due to to much bulk in the corner! I do get on a quilt, but these MR's...they are driving me to drink! I used a really thin quilt batting, a thin blanket (don't remember content but it was thin) and even an infant blanket w hich is very thin. And still...thick or thin, I have the corner square problem! Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails