Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Buzz buzz buzz . . . it's Bee time!

So I joined a fabulous online quilting bee a couple months ago - Bee Splendid!


We're only on the second month of our bee and it's my turn already.  I really agonized over what block I wanted everyone to make.  There are really too many options!  But I wanted something that wouldn't require me to buy too much fabric - trust me, I have a stash that needs to be USED already!  I also wanted to pick something that would allow each member of my bee to use her creativity and show her personality in each block.

About a month ago I ordered this Kona Cotton Starter Pack from Pink Chalk Fabrics and it got my creative wheels turning . . .


I used each solid as an inspiration piece to pull different bits of coordinating fabric from my stash. It was a really great exercise for me, as some of the solids are colors out of my normal "comfort zone" and I had to make them work with what I already had.


I'm asking the ladies in my bee to use these stacks to make scrappy "Drunk Love" inspired blocks like the ones pictured below.

Drunk Love Block Inspiration for Bee Splendid - August

I whipped up a couple blocks last night.  These are SO much fun to make!  I love that you don't have to worry about precision or matching points.  You can just be creative and come up with something fun as you go along.


This next one is my favorite -


I really can't wait to see what everyone makes with the fabric I'm sending - and maybe they'll add a little from their own stashes too!  Fun stuff!

Happy Sewing!
Mary

10 comments:

  1. Love those!

    I'm excited to make some Drunk Love! :) Can't wait for my package!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I really love the second one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this block...it will be a first for me:) I always liked the pattern & you have put together some nice fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Mary, those are really pretty! I can't wait to try my hand at these. And if no one has requested it and if you haven't mailed already, I really like the plum with the green print at the top left of the picture! Of course, all the fabrics are wonderful!! This is going to be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the blocks are going to be lovely; great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all those blocks mary, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited to see how it turns out, Mary! I'm putting together a quilting bee/swap among friends to make a baby blanket for another friend. All babies are special, this one especially fits that! I love the idea of the solids... We were already planning on the drunk love/type block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! How pretty and scrappy!! Scrappy and solid are totally out of my comfort zone but I'm really digging these. maybe I need to make a mental note to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them! From the looks of it you did great with matching your patterns with solids, I don't think that you give yourself enough credit for your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. is it just me, or does your blog header keep changing?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails